The field of dentistry is always marching forward, and this fact is especially evident when it comes to modern options for tooth replacement. In the past, dentures and bridges were the only ways to fill in any empty space in your smile, but now there’s a third choice: dental implants. Are dental implants the best modern choice for tooth replacement? And are they the pinnacle, or will something even better come along in the future? Here are the answers.
Are Dental Implants the Top Choice for New Teeth?
For many dentists and patients, the answer is yes; as long as there’s enough bone in the jaw, dental implants are often considered the best available option when it comes to prosthetic teeth. There are several advantages to choosing dental implants over bridges and dentures:
- The Way They Look and Feel: Dental implant restorations are made to be as lifelike as possible so that they look just like your real teeth. Not only that, but the implant posts feel and act natural due to their bond with your jawbone.
- Their Longevity: Unlike dentures and bridges, which usually need to be replaced every few years, dental implants have the potential to last a lifetime.
- Their Sturdiness: Since dental implants are currently the only kind of tooth replacement that can integrate with your jawbone, they offer a level of strength and stability that traditional bridges and dentures can’t match.
- Their Ability to Stop Bone Loss: The jawbone starts to deteriorate when teeth are missing, but dental implants can stop this process and can even encourage the development of new bone.
- The Fact They Don’t Affect Other Teeth: Traditional dental bridges are supported by natural teeth, which means they can only be placed after some enamel has been removed from the teeth in question. Meanwhile, dental implants can be inserted into your jaw without making any changes to the teeth you still have.
Are Dental Implants Truly the Pinnacle of Tooth Replacement?
Dental implants are currently seen as the gold standard for tooth replacement by many, but some people wonder whether an even better tooth replacement option will arise at some point in the future. It’s hard to say for sure; the landscape of dentistry tends to change very quickly, but at the same time there is no telling how long it might take for a new type of tooth replacement to be developed.
In the meantime, dental implants are definitely worth considering for anyone who is missing at least one tooth thanks to all the unique benefits they provide. Schedule a consultation with your dentist today to see if dental implants may be a good choice for your smile.
About the Author
Dr. Mike Asay has taken advanced training courses in a number of dental fields, including dental implants. He works with local specialists to help his patients replace their missing teeth with expertly placed and restored implant posts. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Asay at Chisholm Trail Dental Health in Round Rock, visit his website or call (512) 244-2796.