Salt and pepper, bread and butter, macaroni and cheese…some things are just better together! That’s also the case when dentures and dental implants join forces. You do not need a dedicated implant for each tooth you intend to receive. Implant dentures are usually held in place with 4-6 implants, and each one integrates with your existing bone and gum tissue to ensure a long-lasting fit. Keep reading to learn from your dentist in Round Rock about the adjustment period, discover benefits, and see if you are a candidate for implant dentures.
What Can I Expect After Getting Implant Dentures?
- Speaking: Because of the secure fit you get with implant dentures, many patients don’t experience an adjustment period when it comes to speaking. In fact, implant dentures can help patients who suffer from tooth loss speak more clearly and with the confidence of knowing their dentures are firmly in place. If needed, just practice chatting at your house to your loved ones until you get more comfortable.
- Eating: Be sure to stick to soft foods and limit chewing while they heal. By the time your mouth has fully recovered, you will be acclimated to eating with dentures so shifting to crunchy or chewy foods won’t be a big adjustment. Drinking plenty of water and limiting sugar consumption are both great advice for denture wearers.
- Hygiene: Good oral hygiene practices are a great way to set up your implant dentures for success. This means consistent brushing, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash as often as your dentist recommends. Even though tooth decay is no longer a risk, you need to protect yourself from gum disease.
What Are Advantages to Choosing Implant Dentures?
There are several reasons why deciding on implant dentures can make life a little easier:
- You do not have to worry about your implant shifting out of place.
- You do not need to rely on denture adhesive.
- Dental implants make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and speak with clarity.
- Implants are made to have a lifespan of more than 25 years, but they can last a lifetime when well-placed by a professional.
- Enjoy improved oral health due to ease of maintenance in keeping gum disease away.
How Do I Know If Implant Dentures Are Right for Me?
To be eligible for implant dentures, you need to have good oral health, healthy gum tissue, and sufficient bone volume for implants to integrate with. If you are missing several teeth and you’d prefer not to use a traditional denture, you’re tired of using your current denture, or you don’t want to regularly repair and replace them, then implant dentures might be right for you.
If they sound like a good match, after adjusting to implant dentures, you are going to be set up for decades with a low-maintenance, winning smile! Be sure to sit down with your dentist in Round Rock to get confirmation that they think this tooth replacement option is the best long-term call for you.
About the Author
Dr. Mike Asay earned his dental doctorate at Baylor College of Dentistry and he’s a member of the American Dental Association. He has an uncanny ability to help patients feel at ease and is a great listener. He had a good family friend who was a dentist, and it inspired him to take this professional path. If you are interested in implant dentures, Dr. Asay is partnered with the best dental implant specialists in the area so that you can achieve attractive, long-lasting results. You can schedule a consultation on his website or by calling (512) 244-2796.